Launch of the Surrey Climate Commission
21st May 2019
Surrey, like other parts of the country, must act to respond to the ever-increasing challenge of climate change. With reducing resources facing local Government there is a need for a wider strategy to achieve the necessary carbon reduction targets.
The Surrey Climate Commission is looking to meet this need by providing the necessary leadership and direction from a joint venture formed from experts from the academic and business community, public institutions and NGO’s.
The event will take the following format:
- Introductions – Richard Essex, Chair of Commission and host Gareth Redmond–King, Head of Climate Change WWF
- The need for transformation presented by:
- Keynote Speaker – Prof. Chris Rapley CBE, UCL Professor of climate science, member of the Science Museum, London’s Advisory Board, and Academia Europaea
- Raising our ambition and rapidly reducing carbon emissions across Surrey – Jonathan Essex, Surrey Councillor and GreenHouse Think Tank
- The contribution of Natural Capital towards meeting targets – Sarah-Jane Chimbwandira, CEO of Surrey Wildlife Trust
- Opportunities and Challenges for business – Joy Aloor, Siemens Head of Sustainability
- Q and A Panel, joined by Michael Goodman, Surrey County Council Cabinet Member for the Environment and Louise Punter, CEO of Surrey Chambers.
To book, follow the link below: