Surrey Support After Suicide Service
6th February 2023
We are proud to announce that our brand newly commissioned service – Surrey Support After Suicide Service, will be operational from the 1st February 2023.
The service will accept referrals from Friday 27th January 2023 but we will not be commencing support for anyone referred until the 1st February 2023.
About our service…
- We provide support for people aged 18+ who live in Surrey, who are bereaved by suicide such as family members and friends and people exposed to suicide e.g. first responders, witnesses, neighbours, colleagues and health and social care professionals etc.
- The service is free to access.
- The core hours of the service is Monday – Friday 9am-5pm but pre-arranged support can be provided up to 8pm where this is needed by the person we are supporting e.g. to fit in around their employment.
- We provide support to people at a time that is right for them, this could be immediate after their loss or later when they feel ready to access support.
- Our staff team and volunteers have lived experience of bereavement by suicide which we see as being extremely important. Alongside their other professional skills & experience, this all comes together to enhance our delivery of the service.
- We accept referrals or self referrals and we ask referrers to complete our simple 2 page referral form with as much information as possible.
- For self referrals individuals can complete the referral form or they can call or email us and following our discussions with them, we will complete the form so that this is not a barrier to access.
What we offer…
- We provide 121 practical and emotional support which is a mixture of weekly, fortnightly and monthly sessions and contact after the person has exited the service on key anniversary dates if the person consents to this. The 121 support is delivered in person or virtually depending on the preference of the person we are supporting.
- We provide suicide bereavement support groups which are closed groups that run for 12 weeks at a time which help people connect with others who have been through the same experiences as them. Groups run in person or virtually depending on the needs of people who wish to attend.
- We will be providing free 1 day suicide bereavement training workshops for professionals, which will start before the end of April 2023 and run on a regular basis.
- Please see attached our leaflets and poster about the service which can be shared across Surrey and a referral form in either a word or PDF version.
- In the first and second month of delivery (February/March 2023), we may only be offering virtual 121 and group based support as we recruit our locally based staff team.
Find out more…
- If you would like us to attend one of your team meetings to talk about the service, then please get in contact with us.
- We are also running monthly virtual professionals webinars to tell professionals about the service and how to refer. The first webinar will be on Thursday 9th February 2023 from 1-2pm. If you wish to join this, then please send us an email at the address below and we will email you the Teams Link.