Enterprise M3 Growth Hub Full Time Growth Champion
18th December 2018
Division: Enterprise M3 Growth Hub
Salary Band: £40,000 – £50,000 p.a.
Purpose of Job
Growth Champions help businesses who demonstrate high innovation and growth potential to access the expert support that they need. This role gives great scope for entrepreneurial thinking, travelling independently around the M3 corridor helping small businesses become more successful and in turn contributing to the UK economic growth. Growth Champions work with local enterprise partnerships and a wide variety of businesses, helping them to develop their plans for future growth
Scope of Job – Main Responsibilities
- The Growth Champion role is critical to the success of the Enterprise M3 Growth Hub.
- Proactively identify and work with high innovation and high growth priority (HIGP) businesses in the Enterprise M3 Local Enterprise Partnership area, to help them achieve their growth goals, ultimately helping to make a significant impact on the area’s economic value and job creation.
- Work with target businesses to identify growth needs, facilitating introductions to specialists and mentors and local organisations who can support them to achieve those goals.
- Developing key partnerships with stakeholders and intermediaries.
The Enterprise M3 Growth Hub puts into place the LEP’s vision of connecting businesses with the quality support they need to succeed and grow, supporting Enterprise M3’s focus on major and emerging sectors. Enterprise M3 includes mid and north Hampshire and South West Surrey stretching from the hinterland of London, along the lines of the M3 motorway to the New Forest taking in several towns in Hampshire and Surrey (including Basingstoke, Camberley, Aldershot, Andover, Guildford and Woking) and the city of Winchester.
Support HIGP businesses to grow their business
Drawing on their substantial practical experience within the private sector the Growth Champion is responsible for:
- Working with the Growth Hub central coordination team to proactively develop and implement a plan to target and engage with High Innovation and Growth Priority businesses within the Enterprise M3 area.
- Proactively raise awareness of the Growth Hub and its service, offer and identify businesses who are eligible for support via a range of methods including self-generation, event attendance, networking etc.
- Working with individual businesses to help them assess their growth and development needs and support action to address them.
- Facilitating introductions to individuals, organisations and networks.
- Identifying a range of publicly funded, voluntary and private sector products and services to meet the individual customer’s requirements.
- Helping customers to identify specialist providers and supporting customers through the selection process as required.
- Acting as an enthusiastic ambassador for the Enterprise M3 Growth Hub, occasionally attending events, and engaging with supply chain organisations and other relevant networks to build awareness and professional relationships for the benefit of High Innovation and Growth Priority customers.
Teamwork – Support other Enterprise M3 Growth Hub colleagues
Working as part of a small team, the Growth Champion is expected to contribute to the development of the Growth Hub service, recommending innovative ways of working, particularly in developing the transition from a publicly funded service to a self-sustaining business.
As part of the team they will also be responsible for:
- Providing support and assistance for the Enterprise M3 Contract, with an expectation of flexibility in keeping with the needs of the business.
- Working seamlessly with identified partner organisations for the benefit of individual customers. The job holder is responsible for the achievement of agreed objectives and targets, as well as monitoring their own progress and reporting results
Providing documentation and reports of activity in line with agreed procedures, including logging activity on
the CRM and providing follow-up communication to individual Growth Hub clients.
Position within Organisation
- Growth Champions report directly to the Senior Project Manager.
- The office base is Regus, Cathedral Hill, Guildford, with an expectation of a high degree of home-working and extensive travel to customers’ business premises.
- The role requires visits to customer premises. It is therefore a requirement that the role holder has a driving license and has access to own transport.
Dimensions & Limits of Authority
- The role has no direct responsibility for budget or line management.
- The role holder has a high degree of autonomy in providing high value support to individual businesses and achieving the required results.
BE Brilliant Standards
- To embrace and demonstrate with integrity, the standard and behaviours which underpin the Group’s values
- To maintain the highest standard of professional conduct at all times both in business and socially with colleagues, clients, business networks and partnerships
- To commit to the principle and practice of Continuous Professional Development and to undertake additional training to meet individual and organisational needs
- To follow Health and Safety procedures put in place by the Group to ensure the safety of you, your colleagues and others who may be affected
- To uphold the Group’s commitment to equality of opportunity to all and following BE Group’s Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Policy
- To support the Group in achieving its sustainability and environmental aims and objectives
- To contribute proactively to sharing ideas, knowledge and best practice to bring about business improvement
- To undertake any other additional tasks and responsibilities appropriate to the level of this post
Summary of Knowledge, Skills and Experience – Essential
A Growth Champion is an individual who has successfully driven growth and innovation within organisations and is likely to have held a number of posts within the private sector at a senior level. They will have a passion for helping businesses succeed and grow.
They will inspire significant levels of trust, encouraging those business leaders who do not normally engage with business support services to be willing to work openly and share sensitive information. They are therefore likely to have the many of the following skills and experience at a strategic and operational level:
- Business analysis
- Business development
- Market analysis and development
- Developing strategic partnerships
- Leadership of change and visioning
- Strategic account management
- Mentoring and coaching of senior leaders
- Excellent communication skills
- High degree of ‘Emotional’ and ‘Political’ intelligence
- Full UK Driving Licence and access to own transport
Summary of Knowledge, Skills and Experience – Desirable
Experience in working within one of the Enterprise M3 priority or emerging sectors:
- Aerospace and Defence, Professional and Business Services, ICT and Digital Media, Pharmaceuticals, skills
- Satellite Technologies, 5G Mobile Communications Technologies, Cyber Security, Advanced Materials and Nano-technology, Photonics, Advanced Aerospace / Automotive Manufacturing, Animal Health, Computer Games and Entertainment Technologies
|Job Holder Signature:|
|Line Manager Signature:|
|ONE OF THE TEAM||SETTING AN EXAMPLE||STANDING OUT FROM THE CROWD|
|Decisiveness||Presents clear information and analysis to aid decision making||Always present a recommendation which is well considered and underpinned by sound research||Thoroughly considers factual and personal information and makes recommendations based on financial and reputational factors. Where risks are identified a well thought through mitigation strategy is presented
|Building & enhancing relationships||Recognised as being approachable, takes action to put others at ease. Presents themselves in a professional manner.||Actively invests the time to get to know individuals and organisations and is a source of advice for others.
|Is highly approachable and a trusted colleague recognised as a source of advice for others. Takes the time to think through how to approach a new relationship or how they can add value to an existing relationship. Acts as an ambassador of BE Group internally and externally
|Organisational awareness||Can describe who we are, what we do and what makes us special||Actively gets involved in group wide projects and proactively promotes group services||Is well recognised across the group, instigates cross selling opportunities and has a demonstrable understanding of key projects and performance at all times
|Developing self and others||Actively participates in training opportunities and in 1:1’s to identify areas for self-development||Proactively offers support to others based on their experience and specialism, and looks for opportunities internally to develop skills and experience or learn from others||Without instruction undertakes both formal and informal development activities such as online webinars, personal research, external training and update sessions. Proactively engages in external opportunities for self-development e.g., involvement in charities, sports clubs etc.|
|Communication & Influencing||Consistently structures both written and verbal communication well, using the most effective method whether face to face, always checking to ensure the recipient has a clear understanding.||Tailors communication effectively to meet the needs of the recipient. Takes the time to understand how best to approach a situation and also actively considers how the other person will perceive things||Actively develops new strategies for communicating that encourage engagement and presents information effectively|
|Planning & drive for achievement||Displays a positive outlook at all times, independently plans workload and proactively communicates and negotiates changes to agreed deadlines. Consistently punctual and well organised and always clear about what outcome is required.||Suggests solutions to be able to accelerate activity or re prioritise to enable increased activity to be handled, constructively challenges targets and encourages others to succeed||Set themselves personally challenging targets, operates independently and proactively makes recommendations for improvement in either team or group methods and approaches